KinPlot© is a tool for learning pharmacokinetic concepts by visualizing the effects that various parameters have on serum levels, leading to a better understanding of drug regimen design.
All inputs are required:
- Half-life in hours
- Volume of distribution (Vd) in liters.
- Dose in mg.
- Dosing Interval in hours.
- Infusion length in minutes.
- Starting serum level in mcg/ml
After entering all model inputs, click the Graph button to view a serum level plot. The plot shows the approach to steady-state for a 1-compartment open model.
- Model inputs are displayed in the grid.
- To simulate a continuous infusion
- Enter the dose as mg per 60 minutes
- Enter an Interval of 1 hour
- Enter an Infusion length of 60 minutes
- To simulate an IV bolus
- Enter an Infusion length of 6 minutes
Three buttons appear along the top of the page.
- Home - Return to the main screen
- Help - Read the help document
- Contact - How to contact RxKientics
Two buttons appear along the bottom of the model parameter inputs.
- Graph - Create a serum level graph based on the current inputs
- Clear - Clear the current graph series
Graph data grid
The color-coded grid along the bottom of the graph lists all inputs for the current series of graphs.
To calculate serum levels for a one compartment intermittent infusion:
Peak = [Dose / (tinf x Vd x Kel)] x [(1 - e-Kel x tinf) / (1 - e-Kel x tau)]
Trough = Peak x e-Kel x (tau-tinf)
Dose = chosen dose in mg
tau = chosen dosage interval in hours
tinf = infusion time in hours
Vd = volume of distribution in liters
Kel = elimination rate constant = 0.693/half-life
Please, your feedback and suggestions for improving the program are welcome and encouraged!
Please email your comments and suggestions to ricktharp at rxkinetics.com.